Thank you so much to Tomato Love, a division of Red Gold Tomatoes, for sponsoring this post. All options are my own!
When I think about making supper for my family of five, simplicity is always at the forefront of my mind! To me, simplicity means as few simple ingredients as possible… I love a single dish that can stand alone as a meal without any sides, which is why this recipe that I got to create with my friends at Tomato Love and The Feed Feed has been an easy favorite for us lately! Tomato Love tomatoes, which are new to the Red Gold tomato family, are special because they’re picked ripe off the vine, tossed with fresh green chilies and a little seasoning, and canned within an hour of coming off the tomato truck! They add the perfect spice and freshness to this recipe!
Not only was this recipe a hit with my family, but it also went over at an adults-only dinner we hosted not too long ago, so it really is quite the chameleon as far as who can enjoy it! It doesn’t scream “This was made with kids in mind.” Hah! It’s got a certain sophistication about it, especially if you top it off with fresh herbs and cracked pepper! That really takes it up a notch! 😉
We’ve got pasta, we’ve got chicken, we’ve got broccoli… And to really bring it all together, we’ve got a lovely creamy tomato sauce!
Are you ready for this recipe?! It’s a good one to keep handy for all the pasta lovers in your life! Let’s get to it!
CHICKEN PASTA WITH CREAMY TOMATO SAUCE
Serves 8-10 people // Prep time 20 minutes // Cook time 20 minutes
Here’s what you need:
1 16oz package of pasta of your choice
2 cups fresh broccoli florets
2 chicken breasts, cubed
2 Tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
For the sauce
3 Tablespoons butter
2 cans of Tomato Love diced tomatoes,* one can drained and one NOT drained.
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 8oz block of cream cheese, cut into one inch slices
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1/3 cup olive oil
*use two cans of mild Tomato Love diced tomatoes to keep the spice level down, or use original Tomato Love diced tomatoes for a little added zest! I actually use one and one!
Here’s what you do:
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook your 16 ounce package of pasta according to the directions on the box.
- After your pasta is cooked and you’ve drained it, put your pasta back in the pot in which you cooked it and immediately add your broccoli florets to the pasta and cover with a lid to steam the broccoli.
- In a medium skillet (I used cast iron), heat two tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add your cubed chicken breast, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning, and cook the chicken thoroughly, about 7-9 minutes.
- Add your cooked chicken to the pasta and broccoli and cover with a lid.
- In your same skillet, add 3 tablespoons of butter, both cans of Tomato Love diced tomatoes (remember to only drain one can!) and the 1/2 cup of heavy cream.
- Once the cream and tomato mixture is warm, add the sliced cream cheese to the skillet, stirring continuously.
- While stirring, add the minced garlic and one tablespoon of Italian seasoning, and stir until all of the cream cheese has melted.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for about five minutes to thicken the sauce a little bit. Be sure to continue occasionally stirring.
- Once the sauce has reached a good consistency, add it to the pot with the pasta, chicken, and broccoli. Add 1 cup of shredded parmesan and stir thoroughly.
- Transfer the pasta mixture to a large baking dish, drizzle with 1/3 cup of olive oil, and loosely cover with a sheet of tin foil.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes to allow for the cheese to melt and the flavors to really mix nicely! 😉
- Remove from the oven, scoop into bowls, and serve hot.
There is something so comforting to me about a creamy pasta dish. And the diced tomatoes add the PERFECT amount of zest to this simple meal! What I love about Tomato Love diced tomatoes is that the tomatoes are grown in the USA on family farms, harvested at the peak of ripeness, and have no GMOs or preservatives! 🙂
To find the Tomato Love retailer closest to you, click here! I hope your family and friends enjoy this recipe (and the conversation from around the table as you eat this) as much as ours has!