Christmas cards. I LOVE THEM! And if you are sending one out this year, it’s probably about time to start thinking about them! Here’s what we sent out last year!
Checking the mail during the Christmas season is such a highlight because of all the cards! I save all the ones we get every year in a gallon ziplock labeled with the year for some reason (because honestly I can’t say I’ve ever gone back and looked at them! But maybe one day I will? I just feel like they’re too great to throw away!)
I had a friend reach out to me recently asking me to offer a few fresh ideas on Christmas card styling “so [her] kids won’t hate [her] in 20 years!” (Insert crying laughing emoji here) You and I both know what she was talking about here! ha!
Although I love and appreciate tradition when it comes to Christmas cards and family photo styling, I also appreciate stepping outside the box just a little! Here are a few thoughts I’d suggest keeping in mind if you want to do something slightly different with your cards this year!
– Don’t feel like you have to dress to match. Let personalities shine! I actually saw once where a mama let her little girl style their Christmas cards one year and it was so cute! It was a little funky, as you might imagine, so she had “styled by our Anna” printed on the card! It was adorable.
– If you do dress to match, maybe just keep your clothes very loosely cohesive. If you did all white on the beach last year and loved that look, why not mix it up this year with shades of white, ivory, oatmeal, and maybe a little gray?
– Don’t feel like you have to include red and/or green in your clothing or setting. I personally think just about any color scheme could be made into a beautiful Christmas card with a little graphic design magic!
– Don’t think the styling has to be wintery! Beachy and woodsy are popular (and very beautiful!) but if you’re looking for something different, pile up on a bed in your non-christmasy PJs, gather up in the kitchen while all baking together, walk down your street and include your pups, dress up in black tie (or something fun and formal), go pick apples/berries as a fam if you live in a place where you can do that, or use a great photo that a friend snapped of y’all on a game day or at a reception!
– With that last thought ^ in mind… Consider using candid photos! Portraits are great, and there’s definitely a place for them, but candid shows real, raw awesomeness 🙂 I love getting Christmas cards with more candid photos!
– If you’re hiring a professional photographer, I would recommend doing some seasonless photos. Good photography is expensive, so why limit your end product to something seasonal? I’m certainly not opposed to having a great set of professional photos that ARE Christmassy, but why do that every single year? Bust outta the mold this year, friend!! I think you’ll be glad! 🙂
To give a few ideas of what to put your kids in for this year’s cards, check out these ADORABLE items available at Row 10 baby! They carry up to 4T in sizes! And they can special order from most of the lines they carry, so if they don’t have the size you’re looking for, give them a call! If I could do 10 Christmas cards and put my kids in all these looks, I’d totally do it!
Unfortunately (fortunately?), I think they’d kill me after look #2.
// vest // bottoms // fox socks // romper (booties included!) //
^^ I love this little combo for if you want to keep things in the cream/oatmeal family. Such sweet pieces! That vest slays me!!!!
// jacket // reversible shirt // pants //
Such a classic, yet updated, little gentleman look! That coat is awesome. I especially love the elbow pads! 🙂
// pink pajama set // bear pajamas //
How cute would these PJs be with an indoor glamping setup?! Those would be SUCH cute pictures! Or if you have an airstream, OH MY GOSH using that would be so awesome. Wow I just got really excited. (I’m obsessed with airstreams!)
// reindeer onesie // also comes as a sweater! //
Seriously. So cute. Does it get any cuter?! I’m picturing brothers– the older one wearing the sweater and the younger one wearing this romper! Hipster Christmas at its best.
// bear shirt // blue shorts // deer shirt // peach shorts //
Adorable little brother/sister combo! And those colors are TDF! Slate blue and peach would make a beautiful nontraditional color combo for a card!
// dress // reversible plaid shirt // pants //
Another sweet brother/sister look. I love those shirts for guys because they are reversible! The one in the first guys outfit is also reversible! Too clever!
// dress //
Another cute cold weather little girl dress. Love love love this!
I think you’d be safe with your kids not being embarrassed 20 years down the road with any of these options! I ended up getting a couple of these items for Wilson and Lily Ryan so now I’m super excited about getting our Christmas card stuff together!
I’ve been gathering a little inspiration on this Pinterest board but wanted to share a few of my favorites here!
This was actually a Valentine’s card but I loved the styling! And with the right wording, it could easily be a Christmas card!
Ok these kids melt me! How sweet! Add a little text to this photo and you’ve got yourself a card!
Presh. Sweet little baby down there!
Really really really cute! Makes me want to travel to a big city for our photos… I’ll just keep dreaming! 😉
(original source of the above pictures can be found via this pin board)
Do y’all have any fun ideas to add?! I just love Christmas and getting mail and styling my family so Christmas cards are one of my favorite things in the world! I’d love to hear what y’all have planned for your own cards this year!
// Special thanks to Row10 for letting me invade the store for a while and take photos! XO! //
I hope y’all are having a great day! Thanks SO MUCH for reading! It means so much to me!! hugs!
Love this post, Laurel! May have to share with my clients :)) And the idea of the airstream totally sparked an idea for my cards although I think I’ll wait a year or two on that. My in-laws own the cutest little camper built by an Amish man from the 1960s! It’s perfect!!
That camper sounds adorable!!!! I would love to see it!! And I’m so glad you liked the post! Would be thrilled for you to share it with some clients!! <3