August is National Catfish Month! I have the amazing opportunity to get to partner with The Catfish Institute and share a catfish recipe that my family has been enjoying recently! We love supporting the U. S. Farm-Raised Catfish industry because we know how hard those catfish farmers work to bring a quality product to us consumers! (My father-in-law and brother-in-law are catfish farmers themselves!)
A recipe I’ve made several times lately, in quest of perfecting it, is this sweet and spicy faux-fried catfish! I love this recipe because all of the ingredients were things I had on hand. We almost always have some U.S. Farm-Raised Catfish in our freezer (be sure to look for the U.S. Farm Raised logo when you purchase!), and the rest of the ingredients are fairly common pantry items, so I’m betting you have them on hand, too! My kids DO like this recipe when I decrease the spice a tad. I think they particularly love the little bit of sweet! 😉
Here’s what you need for this recipe!
SWEET & SPICY FAUX-FRIED CATFISH (4 servings)
3 Tbl. packed brown sugar
1/8 Tsp. cayenne pepper
1/8 Tsp. garlic powder
1/2 Tsp. kosher salt
2 Cups Corn Flakes
1/3 Cup milk
2 Tbl. extra virgin olive oil
4 U. S. Farm-Raised Catfish filets, thawed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Put your Corn Flakes in a ziplock bag and use a rolling pin to crush them into crumbs
- Combine the rest of the dry ingredients with the Corn Flakes in a medium, shallow bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Whisk the egg and milk together in a separate medium, shallow bowl.
- Take each filet, one at a time, and dip both sides in the milk and egg mixture. Then dip the filet into the crumb mixture, making sure to coat the whole thing.
- Place each of the four filets in a large baking dish, side by side. I think the faux-fried coating part bakes better when the filets are not touching each other!
- Drizzle the olive oil lightly over the top of the four filets.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, or until the fish is white and flaky in the middle.
- Serve immediately with your favorite sides.
I hope you and your family enjoy this dish! I love it so much and would love to hear what you think if you get the chance to make it for yourself or your family!
Be sure to keep an eye on my Instagram account this week as I keep my stories updated with National Catfish Month fun!
As always, THANK YOU so much for stopping in today and reading! It means the world to me! And another big THANK YOU to The Catfish Institute for sponsoring this post! 🙂
I hope you have a fantastic week! XOXO!