Do any of y’all have a room in your house that you just don’t really like? For me, that room is our kitchen.
It’s not that I hate it, it’s just that the selections made for it were nowhere near what I would have selected for a kitchen… Do y’all feel me?
I know how immensely blessed we are to even have a house with a kitchen, so ultimately that thought overrides all of my snobby, first world “woe is me, my kitchen is brown and gold when I wish it was white and gray” thoughts. SO first world. SO aware. (Insert hands over eyes monkey emoji!)
Even though I am very thankful for what we have, that doesn’t stop the occasional comment to Price about redoing our kitchen. “Our kitchen is fine, woman! Quit complaining! Besides, I told you when we bought the house that you could redo it in like 15 years!” We are currently 2.5 years in. Only 12.5 more to go! ha! (I love my husband for a million reasons. One of them being how he brings me back down to earth!)
SO. To help with not loving my kitchen, there are a couple of ways I’ve found make it a bit more enjoyable for the next 12.5 or so years! 😉
(1) We changed the pendant lights over the island. Originally they were a little bit spec-y looking. And, to my snobby design-loving mind, ugly. There, I said it. I wound up finding these pendants from West Elm for a great clearance price (meaning sadly they are no longer available.) They made a YUGE difference for me! I also toyed with getting some like this. Still love these!
(2) I try my best to keep it really clean and picked up. Counters wiped down, cabinet doors closed, and junk kept in its place. If a room isn’t the prettiest, at least it’s picked up and clean!
(3) I’ve begun investing in little pretties that look good in my current kitchen and will look even better in our future kitchen! My two favorite things are the Abby Price framed fragment that we snagged at Art for Heart last year and the rug I got on eBay. I ADORE the fragment! Y’all know I love acrylic. Tons of sizes and styles of these are available at SummerHouse | Oxford! You’ll have to actually go to the store. None available online yet! 😉
And the rug! It’s so much fun and adds so much personality. It’ll look perfect in a white and gray kitchen, too! 😉 I’ve mentioned this in another post, but when you have a rug on a hard floor, GET A NICE RUG PAD! This is so important. Read more about why good rug pads are so important! Investing a little more on the front end can save you TONS down the road when your wood floors aren’t ruined from a cheap pad. I’ve had great experiences with this rug pad company in the past and will continue to use them for all my rug pad needs!
(4) Paint is an inexpensive way to make a huge difference. When we moved in, the cabinets had a greige faux finish on them, which wasn’t my fave. The crisp Benjamin Moore White Dove cabinets are much more refreshing!
(5) Fresh flowers and greenery instantly lift the mood of any room!
(6) Great smelling candles burning (when you aren’t baking or cooking, of course!) also instantly lift the mood of a room. Smell is such an important sense! Make that nose happy!
So although we’ve invested a bit into our current kitchen, everything we’ve done can carry over into a new kitchen one day! When making the most of your least favorite room, be mindful of how your investments can carry over into your dream room! 🙂
(The little boy in the picture is my mama’s daddy! Wilson looks so much like him!)
Thank y’all so much for dropping in today! I hope you’re having a good start to your week. See y’all back here soon! 😉 XO!