Happy National Catfish Month, everyone! I hope yours is off to a great start! I’m getting mine going with a Catfish Burrito Bowl!
It’s no secret that Mexican food is my all time favorite genre of food. The flavors, the colors, the sides, the drinks, the cheese… And of course, the taste!! Every time Price asks me where I want to go eat, he can answer himself in my “voice” without me having to say a thing! “You know I’m gonna pick Mexican, Price!”
Hah! So when I got the opportunity to create another recipe using U.S. Farm-Raised Catfish, I got real excited about taking the Mexican route! And since today is Tuesday (which is known every week to me as Taco Tuesday), it seemed like a perfect fit. Even if I did deviate from actual tacos and take more of the Burrito Bowl approach!
These Catfish Burrito Bowls turned out to be SO tasty, and honestly, I think I had every ingredient used in this recipe on hand, so maybe you do too! Low carb, very fresh, and really healthy (on top of being delicious) sounds like a winning combo to me!
CATFISH BURRITO BOWL (SINGLE SERVING)
WHAT YOU NEED:
To prepare the Catfish,
- 1 U.S. Farm-Raised Catfish filet, cut into 1” pieces
- 1 Tablespoon Avocado Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 of a Bell Pepper, diced
To build the rest of the bowl,
- 1 cup Rice (I used riced cauliflower to keep carbs down)
- 1/2 cup Seasoned Black Beans
- 1/4 cup of Mexican Blend Cheese
- 1/2 Tomato, diced
- 1/2 Avocado, sliced
- 1 Green Onion, diced
- 1 Tablespoon Sour Cream
- Cilantro for garnish
WHAT YOU DO:
- Heat up a skillet on medium heat. Add the oil, catfish and bell pepper. Cook until peppers start to soften and catfish is thoroughly cooked, about five minutes.
- While the catfish and peppers are cooking, heat up your rice and beans in the microwave.
- Lower your skillet heat to low and add cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, and onion powder to the catfish and peppers. Thoroughly mix in for about one minute, then turn off the heat.
- In whatever bowl you’d like to serve this dish in, add your rice as the bottom layer. Add beans next. Then add the catfish and peppers mixture.
- Top with cheese, tomato, avocado, green onion, and sour cream.
- I added a little more salt and pepper to taste. You may want to as well!
- Garnish and ENJOY!
This recipe is for one serving, but would be really easy and convenient to double since you’re just using half of all the veggies. May as well use the other half on another bowl if you’ve got a date! 🙂
I hope you enjoy this fun and fresh take on a Burrito Bowl as much as I have! And you can totally make it your own by adding in some pinto beans, cotija cheese, corn, olives, pico… The options are pretty much endless!
(( Allow me to take this moment to suggest this three-ingredient margarita recipe as a great little pairing! 🙂 ))
As always, huge thanks to U.S. Farm-Raised Catfish for supporting this post! All opinions are my own! And because I get asked pretty often, I get my U.S. Farm-Raised Catfish frozen from Kroger!
Have a great Catfish Month and thanks for reading!